Internal Evaluation and Pre Prof Examination
In addition to the Annual Examinations conducted by the University routine class tests are held by the Departments concerned. The college also conducts mid term and Pre-Professional Examinations. Results of Midterm and Pre-Professional Examinations are communicated to the parents/ guardians through the students. It is the duty of the students to apprise their parents of their progress in the academic field. Parents may contact the professor concerned or the Principal after prior appointment.
The examination schedule is announced well before the commencement of examinations, so as to allow sufficient time for students to prepare. It is mandatory for students to fulfill the minimum requirement to be eligible to sit in the examination, on the following criteria.
Evaluation is an ongoing process, comprising of continuous assessment test (CAT), end of module examinations, and annual/ professional university examinations. Credit from continuous assessments contributes towards the final performance in professional examination. The assessment process is designed to achieve the instructional objectives.
To evaluate student's knowledge, skill and attitudes multiple assessment methods are used, including short answer questions (SAO), MCQs, OSPE, OSCE and oral examination. In line with the PMDC stipulation, the minimum pass level for all tests and examinations is 50%. (fifty percent)
SSCMS evaluation system encourages each student to create personal standards of excellence. Students who fail to achieve the criteria are helped by remedial coaching and by the subject expert of the specific field and if deemed necessary faculty members from other institutes or university are also called upon for the encouragement and enhancement of their skills in line with minimum standards required for the degree program.
Mandatory student attendance requirement of 75% at least is needed for sitting in the annual university examination. However, persistent unsatisfactory performance or chronic absenteeism could lead to withdrawal of the student from the college.
In MBBS and BDS 10% of total marks of each subject contribute to internal assessment. Internal assessment of theory is based on continuous assessment test (CAT), module exam conducted by the college, while internal assessment of Viva Voce/Practical is based on practical, OSPE, OSCE and ward assessment/tests/visit reports. Attendance and student behaviour also contribute to internal assessment.
The SSCMS examination cell works in liaison with the Examination Department of Jinnah Sindh Medical University and Karachi University being the examining body for Sir Syed College of Medical Sciences.
The Examination cell has the Following Responsibilities:
- Conducts various internal and modular examinations, facilitates the department of examination of Jinnah Sindh Medical University and Karachi University to conduct professional examinations.
- Compile results of different examinations.
- Maintain MBBS and BDS internal assessments record of the students.
- General Eligibility for Any Professional Examination.
- A student is eligible to appear in a professional examination, at the end of an academic year, subject to fulfilling the following conditions.
- She has studied the prescribed courses during the academic year.
- Has attended at least 75% lectures, demonstrations, practical and clinical sessions in each subject separately.
- Has paid the tuition fee as prescribed by the college and university.
- Has filled the student's examination form for the particular examination and that has been submitted to the Principal for onward submission to Controller Examination of the examining University.
- The student criteria for professional examination of MBBS & BDS course is described in the ensuing paragraphs.